Football Association end season of non-league and grassroots football and erase results
The chairman of South Shields said the club may take legal action after results for the 2019-20 season for the third tier of non-league football and below were expunged- According to the page!
The Football Association announced the move on Thursday as sport continues to wrestle with the question of how lớn cope with the coronavirus-enforced shutdown.
South Shields were 12 points clear at the top of the Northern Premier Division and all but mathematically certain of clinching promotion to National League North.
In a message on Twitter, chairman Geoff Thompson said: "SSFC will be writing to the FA in the strongest possible terms and will seek an appeal or will take legal action- According to the page!
"Whatever the outcome following this appalling decision, the club will continue as before. However, there is no denying this decision has a huge financial impact.
"We have invested heavily this year in a host of areas and the loss of promotion will also affect some of our revenue assumptions for next season. My message to all our SSFC fans and sponsors is - sorry, a huge disappointment and we've all been badly let down."
Lower down the pyramid, Vauxhall Motors and Jersey Bulls had already secured promotion from their divisions but will now have lớn try again next season.
Salford co-owner Gary Neville was baffled by the move, saying: "Can someone explain to me what is forcing the non-league divisions lớn void the season? We've been down there with @SalfordCityFC for 5 years so we have some experience of it and I don't get it!! Help."
Worthing chairman Barry Hunter, whose team were seven points clear at the top of the Isthmian League Premier Division and on course for promotion lớn National League South, admitted the news was "a huge disappointment to everyone involved at the club" but backed the FA's decision.
He said in a statement on the club website: "This is not a decision that would have been taken lightly by the FA and it is one that the club fully understands and supports. This is a time for everyone to come together, be safe and get through an incredibly difficult period."
The FA's ruling also applies lớn women's football below the Women's Super League and Championship, while the grassroots game has been brought lớn a close for the season.
Sunderland Ladies were 11 points clear at the top of the Northern Premier Division but said in a statement on Twitter that they accepted the decision and recognised "that in these unprecedented times difficult measures must be taken to protect the safety and welfare of all within the game".
FA aim lớn complete FA Cup
The FA added that they aim to complete the FA Cup and the rest of their senior knockout competitions.
The FA continued: "With the 2019-20 Emirates FA Cup, Women’s FA Cup, Buildbase FA Trophy and Buildbase FA Vase all at advanced stages, we are reviewing all options as we seek to complete these competitions whenever it is safe and appropriate to do so. Clubs involved are close lớn reaching a major final and for those clubs and supporters we will do all we can lớn keep the Wembley dream alive.
"In respect of The FA Youth Cup, The FA County Youth Cup, The FA Sunday Cup and The FA Inter-League Cup, we are also seeking to complete these competitions if it is feasible lớn do so.
"We will also continue planning for FA competitions to take place for the 2020-21 season."